Japan has 4 post-fermented teas. 3 of them are located in Shikoku Island where SONO is, and all those 3 are anaerobically fermented by lactic acid bacteria. Those local lactic acid bacteria create unique sour tastes and multiple health benefits.
1. Manufacturing Steps of Japanese Post-fermented Teas
Each tea has unique making steps and all are handled by manual works.
(Horie et al. “Comparison of oxidant activities among four kinds of Japanese traditional fermented tea”,
Food Science & Nutrition, Vol.43, No.11, 2017; 5, P639-645, link to this research paper)
2. Major Tea Components in Japanese Post-fermented Teas
The fermentation processes reduce major tea components.
3. Health Benefits of Ishizuchi Kurocha
Instead, lactic acid bacteria gives you multiple health benefits.
- Prevent fat accumulation
- Relieve allergy symptom
- Regulate the functions of the intestines
- Strengthen the immune system
- Relaxing effects
The following graphs show the effectiveness of anti-allergy and obesity prevention.
(Horie et al. “Evaluation of lactic acid bacteria and component change during fermentation of Ishizuchi-kurocha”,
Journal of Food Processing and Preservation, Vol.43, No.11, 2019, P7-8, Link to this research paper)
4. Health Benefits of Goishicha
Goishicha was found unique health benefits.
- Suppress cholesterol
- Hypotensive effect
- Prevent influenza infection